“Wiggly Field” is Chicago’s first official dog exercise and play area, located at 2645 N. Sheffield (at Schubert) in Noethling Playlot Park. The park is entirely enclosed and has double-gated entryways and a canine sized drinking fountain.
“Wiggly Field” is supported by Wrightwood Neighbors with funds from the Taste of Lincoln Avenue, membership dues and individual donations.
Park operations, maintenance, cleanup and events are overseen by Wrightwood’s Wiggly Field Advisory Council. For more information or to join Wiggly Field, call Stacey Hawk at (773) 404-9777 or email her at Stacey@HawkCityK9.com.
“Wiggly Field” was established in April 1997 by Stacey Hawk, Diane Dorwart and Judy Tullman, with the Wrightwood Neighbors Association. Wiggly has garnered local and national publicity:
- Animal Planet’s is “K-9 to 5” show is still running a segment on Wiggly Field taped during the fall festival in October 2000.
- Chicago Magazine listed Wiggly Field as the #1 place to go in the city to meet people (July 1999)
- InStyle Magazine’s “Going out: Great Dates in 18 Cities” listed Wiggly Field as Chicago’s ‘cool activity’ (Sept 2000).
- Bark Magazine’s travel section “springtime jaunts” highlights Chicago as a dog friendly destination and lists Wiggly Field as a must-see location (Spring 2002).
- Chicagoland Tails-2002 Reader’s Choice Award-Best Dog Park or beach in the Chicagoland area.
A big event at Wiggly is its wildly popular ‘Furry, Fun, Fall Festival’ held in October, complete with a Halloween costume contest, free goodies and samples, games, contests, and prizes. The festival is an informational resource providing continuing education and promoting good dog guardianship.
Dog Friendly Area Rules and Regulations
Chicago Park District Dog Friendly Areas website
- Owners are legally responsible for their dogs and any injuries caused by their dogs.
- Owners must remain with and watch their dogs at all times.
- Dogs must be leashed prior to and upon leaving the DFA. Gates to the DFAs must remain closed except upon entering and exiting the DFA.
- Owners must immediately clean up after their dogs. Owners who fail to clean up after their dogs are subject to a fine of up to $500.00 (City of Chicago Ordinance 7-12-420).
- Dogs with a known history of, or who exhibit, dangerous behaviors are prohibited.
- Dogs must be healthy, fully immunized, dewormed, licensed and comply with the Cook County Department of Animal and Rabies Control Regulation for Chicago Park District DFAs.
- No dog will be allowed in a DFA unless it has a current rabies vaccination.
- Dog owners are responsible for the monitoring and maintenance of the DFA.
- No Food (human or dog food) is allowed inside the DFA.
- Owners or other responsible persons must have a DFA permit with them for each dog visiting the DFA.
- DFA permits are valid from January 1 through December 31 each year.
- Children under 12 must be accompanied by an adult; younger children must be closely supervised.
- Only three dogs per person allowed.
- Puppies under four months old and female dogs in heat are prohibited.
- Failure to comply with the Cook County Department of Animal and Rabies Control Regulation for Chicago Park District DFAs can result in a fine of up to $500.00.